Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Atkins-Friendly Diet is No “Friend” of Mine.

“Why don’t you go on a diet?”
“Because I like to eat. Is that such a crime?”
Jack Black – School of Rock


I was at a friend’s place the other night and he offered me some ice cream. Having a sweet tooth I took him up on it. Mint Chocolate Chip, one of my favorites, but after the first bite I started looking for the hidden cameras. This is not Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, this is not even food. The chocolate chips tasted like chalk and even though the ice cream was frozen, it tasted room temperature in my mouth.

“What’s wrong with this ice-cream?,” I ask in a confused state of mind.
“Oh, it’s Atkins-Friendly ice cream.”
“Why does it taste so bad?”
“It’s not that bad.”

Oh but it was that bad. In fact ladies and gentlemen, it was terrible. Why would they want to make ice cream taste bad? Why would they want to make it look like ice cream was good for you? And this event opened my eyes. It was like I was in a slumber for a very, very long time and I started to notice other things around me.

I was at Burger King waiting in line, waiting to buy a nice greasy chicken sandwich and some onion rings (because that’s what you do at a fast food place). It was when I looked to my right and saw that they had an Atkins-Friendly burger.
First of all, it’s taboo to eat a burger without the bun. Second, it’s a burger from Burger King. I doubt that it’s the cream of the crop of meat so just because there are no carbs in it, it doesn’t mean that it’s gonna be great for the ol’ ticker
There was another time I was sitting on the couch drinking a delicious Coca-Cola when I saw a commercial on t.v. for the new C2, which is a new Coke product that has half the carbs of a regular Coke. It had people jumping out of their cars, with “I Want to Break Free” by Queen in the back ground, revolting from the harsh days of regular Coke and it’s “evil” carbs.
They are trying to make C2 look healthier then Coke, which I guess in some weird way it is, but in the long run people, IT’S STILL SODA. This isn’t something that your body needs to survive. You can either have a really sugary soda with lots of carbs, or you can have a really sugary soda with half the carbs. It’s your choice.
And the list goes on and on and on of junk food type related items. They even have low-carb beers. The last thing I’m thinking about when I drink a beer is my carb intake. It is as pointless as buying non-alcoholic beer.
So why am I seeing these junk food items presented to me in an Atkins healthy manner? This was starting to look like one of those get rich scams. You know the type where they say, “It’s really easy to do, there is little work involved and the final results will amaze you.” In all honesty I have seen people lose some weight on it. So it can’t be that bad can it? So I emailed my good friend Bram Spitael and asked why we needed carbohydrates and why is the Atkins diet so popular and this is what he replied,

“In a nutshell, your body NEEDS carbohydrates because it's our number one source of energy. But maybe even more importantly, if you don't care about having energy, you will have one heck of a hard time getting the proper nutrition (i.e. vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.) from a predominantly protein rich diet. It's your fruits, veggies, legumes, beans, whole grains that contain most of the bulk of these all important nutrients that you simply can not replace by popping a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement while on the Atkins diet. A balanced diet helps your immune system, metabolism, reduces heart disease, lowers risk of certain cancers, energy system,
The problem with the Atkins diet is that it works. People LOVE results and will sacrifice the above mentioned benefits from a balanced diet for the quick fix Atkins diet. Who doesn't LOVE a breakfast of eggs, ham, bacon every morning? A cheeseburger for lunch and a big juicy steak for dinner? See ya in the hospital in about 5 years when all that artery clogging saturated fat finally blocks your arteries!
Bottom line, get OFF your LAZY FAT ASS and do some MODERATE exercise, EAT healthy 5 or 6 days a week, and PIG OUT once or twice a week and vegetate.”

And that paragraph did it for me. There is a difference between eating good and dieting. Eating good is a nice chicken breast, some rice and some steamed vegetables. Dieting is something people do as a New Years resolution or right before it’s time to go to the beach for the Summer. It’s something that you kind of want to do but not put the time into it and this is why the Atkins diet is such a big craze. That’s why it hasn’t faded away like other things such as tight rolling jeans and parachute pants.
The Atkins diet is the lazy man’s diet and that’s why they are gearing it towards people who like to eat. These big time corporations distribute these “friendly” foods for you. The Atkins diet allows you to eat whatever you want, as much as you want, just as long as you don’t eat carbs.
So why do I hate this Atkins diet so much? Well besides the fact that it’s not good for you and is totally going against the Four Food groups that everybody learned in first grade, remember the one that told us to eat our fruits and vegetables, dairy, meat and oh yeah, grains? It’s tainting one of the last pure things that I have left in my life, and that is junk food. It’s one of my guilty pleasures and I want to enjoy a Snickers bar from time to time and don’t want to worry about how many carbs are in it.
I’m not one to preach but you got to open your eyes America. It’s time to take back what is ours. It’s time to say, “I got to break free,” from this Atkins diet and come back to reality. You can’t have both. You can’t have junk food that’s good for you. It’s time to make a choice. I don’t care what they say to you, no matter what, you can’t have your cake and eat it too, even if it is Atkins-Friendly.

22 comments:

christine said...

as i've said time and time again...



Fat people ruin everything

m said...

Dan,

You might consider reading the Atkins book. The diet is different than all the hearsay you've been told.

Basically, under Atkins, you only avoid carbs for two weeks. Then you reintroduce healthy (i.e. not loaded with sugar) carbs into your diet gradually. It's not so much about not eating carbs as it is about not filling up on sugar.

So all that "Atkins-friendly" food that you see out there is to help people kick the sugar habit.

kagroo said...

Jeff,

Unless i'm mistaken...that's the South Beach Diet you are talking about. How do I know, well I know someone who is doing it and she told me about it, which I'm totally for. The Atkins diet is taking carbs out of your diet, unless they changed it, which I'm sure they have because it sucks.

qhunt said...

I am going to have to agree with Christine. though i don't know her, she sounds pretty darn smart. The Atkins diet is a crap shoot. what is the point of being skinny if your insides are full of garbage. like Bram said, "artery clogging foods". I was in an exercise fitness class when this diet came out and my professor was outraged. why can't we all try a really Radical and crazy diet? .. a balanced one!!! I don't care what crazes come out, eating balanced and exercise will always prevail! it is not rocket surgery people.

kagroo said...

and jeff from what I just read about the Atkins diet, one of it's main focus is to take out carbs, "

"Efficiently switch your body from a carbohydrate-burning metabolism to a primarily fat-burning (your fat!) metabolism."

It does say that it wants to stop the in take of sugars, which is a good thing, but it's primary focus from what I understand is to take you off of carbs or a very small amount, so your body will burn the fat from your body. The thing is, I have never spoken to anyone who eats healthy or who is an actual trainer who has said positive things about the Atkins diet. I've only heard good things from people who have tried it who says it works, then stop doing it.

The Dana said...

My two cents = I believe that Jeff is talking about the South Beach diet, which is actually a rather good way to alter your eating habits.

I had a roomie in college who did Atkins, and yea, she lost weight, but all we had in our fridge were freakin' oscar meyer hot dogs, eggs, and bacon. Oh, and some cheese - usually the slices.

I have been adamently (sp?) against Atkins as a lifestyle, because clearly that sh*t ain't good for you healthwise. For the few (and I had a cousin like this) who are VERY large, and need to find a way to get the weight off so that they can actually exercise again and be a fit little fiddle, starting out with Atkins isn't the worst thing in the world. BUT, that was before the South Beach stuff came out - which seems like a modified and less instense way to drop the pounds.

I have also heard of this book called The Detox Diet, whic is sort of the same, but also includes really healthy tonics 'n' stuff to help keep your body regenerating the good parts of it.

So, bottom line after this long diatribe:

LOW-CARB makes me want to throw up everytime I see it at the supermarket as a "selling point" for a product.

I am not a fan of ATKINS or any of his food - I think there is something inherently risky about the whole thing.

And finally, perhaps we wouldn't all need to cut back on carbs so much of we'd MOVE OUR F*CKING ASSES AND BURN THEM OFF!!!

m said...

Amazing! You're all experts on the Atkin's diet, yet I'll bet none of you have read the book. Have any of you bothered to even check out the Atkin's website?

And then you attribute my comments to another diet?

How can you all know so much about the diet? Because of what other people told you? Because of what you heard on the news? Reading about the Atkin's diet is not the same as reading the book: "Dr. Atkin's Diet Revolution."

If you don't know what the word "ketosis" means, then you know absolutely nothing about the Atkin's diet. It's not about eating bacon and sausage for the rest of your life. It's about chainging your eating habits. It's about not drinking two liters of soda a day on top of candy, cookies, cake, and ice cream.

It's as if you guys will believe only the first thing you're told. You are resistent to new information if it contradicts your current point-of-view no matter what the facts are. Just take a couple minutes to read the myths about Atkin's, or how to do Atkins.

Open your minds. You'll be amazed at what you might learn.

kagroo said...

Well Jeff...the WHOLE point to my article was how I hated how food organizations try and make junk food appealing by adding "Atikins-Friendly" on it.

Also how people use this diet but don't excersise...from the many people I know who have tried it. I also wanted to point out that the people who I have heard the bad things from this diet are friends of mine, who happen to be physical trainers.
Who set up diets and exercise programs for people. Do they control everyone's opinion in the world??? No they don't but I respect what they have to say, since this is what they do for a living.

I did look at the website and I understand what you are trying to do here...educate us...but for you to site sources of the very thing that the people on this forum are against...of course the Atkins website is going to be biased...why? For one reason my friend...MONEY. I just would like more outside sources, rather then the atkins diet home web page...and I know once you read this you are going to google the living hell out Atkins...which I'm looking forward to. :)

http://www.thedietchannel.com/atkins.htm

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins/46/Saturated_Fat_and_Cholesterol_Are_Bad_for_You.htm

I just want normal junk food back and for people to loose weight...excercise and eat a little bit healthier...but I guess do what works for you.

kagroo said...

Or if you are too lazy to copy and paste...just click on...


THIS

or

THAT

The Dana said...

Further to all these posts, I just want to say this:

The bottom line is that that Atkins diet can be very dangerous. No matter what the book reads. It is not monitored enough by doctors, and people are SO anxious to lose weight as quickly as possible and the easiest way possible.

We all know what the proper and healthy thing is to do to lose weight:

Eat whole grains and fresh foods and lean meats and proteins (or beans if you're a vegetarian).

MOVE YOUR FUCKING BODY!!!!

That's pretty much it. If you want to add on extra things to continue to enhance your physical well being, then fine. Like I said, I saw what Atkins did to my roommate - yea, she lost weight. But she had headaches, her hair thinned out, and she had NO energy.

Any HEALTHY diet shouldn't leave you feeling like that.

And I'm gonna go back to my old original feeling: Dr. Atkins has mass marketed this diet thinking short term, and how he could make money. (May he rest in peace).

The truth is, what really bothers me is the uber-mass marketing trendiness of the whole thing. I couldn't even walk through the health food store without seeing "low carb" this, and "low carb" that. And you know where those signs weren't? In the fucking produce section!!!! Where at least half of your grocery buying should be? Give me a break!

I'm going to quit now before I go ballistic, but I have a lot more to say about healthy eating, and the effect of diet habits in American on the psyche.

Word.

Anonymous said...

Well I live in South Beach. Last night I ate Taco Bell and today I have had chips and salsa and starbucks coffee. So THAT's my SoBe diet.

The Dana said...

A) Miami Mike makes me laugh.

B) Miami Mike needs to be like the cool kids and get himself a blog.

kagroo said...

Mike is cool because he doesn't have one. he went against the grain. GRAINS you say?

Loz said...

I got fooled into buying "Carbsmart" chocolate and vanilla icecream - it was like the place that flavour goes to die. I figured I didn't need icecream so badly that I would settle for that sorta crap.
I've given up on that low-carb Atkins sort of approach, it makes no sense and it's torture.
And if I'm going to Burger King, I'm getting a BURGER!

Anonymous said...

Listen to The Dana on this one. Why this country has forgotten that fresh produce, meat and other actual groceries are good to eat and easy to prepare while at the same time good for you, I will never know.

I do know that about once a week I see a television news program with some "breaking" story about how Soda is bad for you, or how McDonald's makes you fat. What the Fuck!? Who the hell is sitting at home in front of the tv sucking down a 32 oz. Diet Coke, Big Mac and Large Fry and sees this story and says: "Holy Shit, I thought that this was ok because I got the Diet!"

The "bad for you" news story counterpart is the "miracle food" story. "This just in, a Harvard study has concluded that eating tomatoes on a regular basis reduces your chances of having a heart attack." This is no shit people. I see these stories all the time. Does anyone else? Who the fuck is in the dark on the benfits of eating healthy? Does anyone really need Peter Jennings to tell them that fresh tomatoes are healthier than a Little Debbie snack food cake?

If you order your food from a 16 year old who has developed acne from the greasy food he prepares for you then you shouldn't be eating it. Or if you do, you shouldn't be bitching about being fat, or how Dr. Atkins helped you lose weight, but now are too bald to get a date.

This really pisses me off. I will say it again, just so that The Dana's message is not lost. You do not need Dr. Atkins to lose weight. You need to exercise. Take a fucking walk once a day for Christ's sake. Not a run, a WALK.

And if your food preparation techniques consist of taking a box from the freezer and placing its contents in the oven for 20 minutes, then you are not eating healthy. I don't give a shit what the box says.

Buy some vegetables that have not seen the inside of a can. Buy some fruit that you have to eat before it goes bad. Get some unprocessed meat. Amazingly, it all tastes better than the fast food, processed, and canned shit, and at the same time is better for you.

I don't even need some jackass diet guru to tell me this shit, I just know it.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't a 32oz Diet Coke be Atkins friendly though? In that case, hell, upgrade to the double gulp 64oz. MMmmmmm. . . aspartame.

kagroo said...

only if it's half diet, half regualr coke. I'm trying to watch my figure.

The Dana said...

and i'll have a filet of fish sandwich, because it's fish. tryin' to lose some of the weight.

and a small seasoned curly's. a SMALL seasoned curly's.

Anonymous said...

With extra salt. And do you have any melted cheese or BBQ sauce I could dip them in?

qhunt said...

what do you want KaGE.... Jeez take for ever why don't ya!!!!

Anonymous said...

Did you see it. Just last night, less than a week after my post about the amazing news stories findings about the benefits of eating healthy. CBS and NBC nightly news both ran stories on the release of some university study that discovered that women who consume less fatty foods while recovering from breast cancer are less likely to have a reoccurance of the cancer.

Apparantly this study was prompted by a trend discovered by observant doctors that realized breast cancer is not as prevelant Japan as the United States, but when Japanese women move to America and adopt American diets their instances of breast cancer match those of the United States.

It's a freakin miracle! Eat your vegatables everyone, they are good for you. Better for you than bacon.

Anonymous said...

Hi, guantanamera121212