Saturday, April 15, 2006

Happy Easter.

I know what you are thinking and it's not going to happen. I'm not going to debate Easter for some strange reason, not this year anyway because God and myself are on good terms right now and I don't want to fuck that up. I love zombies, Jesus Zombie rules. He rises from the dead but he doesn't want to eat your brains, unless they kept that part out of the Bible. The thing about Easter, compared to Christmas is that there isn't stress on this day. I know it has been split down the middle between religion and commercial but there is a different tone. There isn't the pressure of finding someone a great gift, gettting up at 7 a.m. to find things that you don't really need under a tree that you'll have to throw away in a week.

You may also wonder how the son of God dying is better than him being born. Well the thing is, when he was born, I'm sure some of the people thought, "Uh, why is the son of God here? We must have really fucked up." It was that added pressure of having to be good, that is, unless you didn't believe in him and did your own thing. For the record, I am going to assume that everyone who is reading this is of Christian faith, just for the simple fact that I wanted this to be a quick write up and I don't have days to debate. Now that he died for our sins, it's like the parents have left for the weekend and you know what that means...PARTY!!! Alright, I do realize that this is a little far fetched but I'm just trying to expand the horizon of your thinking. Trying to get you on the same page as me, unless you are a faster reader than I am and you will be done with the book before I even can turn to the next chapter.

Easter is a day that you can finally eat or swear or jerk off, things that you gave up for Lent, that you gave up for forty days. It's the end of a long journey, the sunset to a long, hard worked day. For some reason, those days are always more satisfying. There is something rewarding about it. Easter is a time where there is no real special sport event (Lions on Thanksgiving), no special movie that you have to watch (A Christmas Story), no where that you have to go to (4th of July fireworks). Easter is very warm, layed back holiday. It's a long over due Saturday night with nothing planned. So from me and all of the writer's here At The Corner Bar, we wish you a happy Easter.

4 comments:

christine said...

i am really down with good friday (my office is closed). which means that you can drink freely thursday and friday nights and then make the choice about saturday night, depending on if you don't mind going to church with a hangover sunday morning. plus, you have 2 days of non obligatory goings on to do what you need to do in your own life b/c no one makes wild plans for easter weekend - at least not those that i know, so it's pretty laid back and relaxed.

and my parents no longer hide eggs around the house, which is a relief. thank god - or thank jesus, as the case may be.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Jesus is back!

Anonymous said...

Zombie Jesus is a great concept-I think you should develop it.

My own version is that in the weeks leading up to the sermon on the Mt., it just happened to be Shroom season, and Jesus was gobbling caps left and right, walking around in robes and exclaiming to no one in particular, "Holy Shit! I'm the Messiah! I must tell EVERYONE."

Judas was sooooo sick and tired of his incessant ramblings and always asking to borrow money for drugs, ha sold him out to Pilate. When the centurions came to arrest him, Jesus had polished of enormous quantities of table wine, punctuated with with handfulls of Mandrax. He was so loaded he went along with everything.

Essentially, he passed out on the cross, and woke up three days later looking so ashen people thought they saw a ghost.

Realizing he had spent the last few months making an ass out of himself, he checked in to a 12 program, where the first step was an enormous uphill battle.

qhunt said...

i have always wondered why Easter was never as big as Christmas, I mean, Christ rose from the dead!! Hello?! that is pretty huge.