Monday, March 13, 2006

Was I Write?

The quest for work continues. I will probably end up being a street sweeper but there's nothing wrong with that. It's an honest living. I have been going to Craig's List looking for writing gigs, crew work, anything. I came across this post which I wish I had the link to it, but I don't. To sum it up, it was a post asking for a screenwriter to adapt a book to a screenplay. It said it paid a $100.00 and a bonus if it was done fast. Well I thought I'd try to contact this guy/girl even though something didn't seem right. I knew something was way off when I got an email from this person...the name being freeky2night. Yes, it was spelled with two e's. Granted, I had one with the name tunamix in it, but that is because I didn't want this fucker having my real email address. You'd figure that if this is a published author, someone who would want them to take themselves seriously, you'd have a better name than that.

This is my on going email exchange. I did not alter anything, the way it was written to me was the way I put on here. Even though I had no intentions on doing this, I still couldn't help but try and write this screenplay. It's just how my brain works but the more emails I wrote, the more I realized that this would never happen.

I saw on Craig's List you were looking for someone to adapt a book into a screenplay. I'd like to say I have a good knowledge of doing this and I also have Movie Magic Screenwriter, which is an added bonus.

I am not certain on what kind of book it is, how much you are willing to pay and the time frame in which you need it. If you could please send me back some information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Dan McCauley

AUTOGRAPHED COPY OF BOOK.....$100.00.....AND BONUS DEPENDING ON HOW QUICKLY THE SCRIPT IS COMPLETED.

HELLO DM,

I AM IN LAS VEGAS SO I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE THAT IS ALSO IN VEGAS.. HOWEVER, LIKE THE AD SAID COMPENSATION IS AN AUTOGRAPHED BOOK, $100.00, AND BONUS DEPENDING HOW QUICKLY THE SCRIPT IS COMPLETED. BUT, THIS COULD BE AN ONGOING POSITION FOR THE SIMPLE FACT, I HAVE THREE OTHER BOOKS THAT WILL NEED TO BE DONE IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE. SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED GET BACK TO ME

SHAWN


P.S. I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION THAT YOU WOULD GET SCRIPT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AS WELL...

I am game if you are interested but I am curious what an Autographed copy of a book means...is that the name of the book? What is the genre of the book? How long do you want the screenplay to be?

DM,

I GUESS THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO DISCRIBE MY BOOK TITLED "COMING OUT OF THE DARK" BY LA SHAWN LOGAN YOU CAN GO TO Click here...I've made it easier for youand pull it up, just to get an idea. when you get there if you scroll to the bottom of the page an click read inserpt you can read the first three pages. the genre is hmm! well the book is about a young lesbian girl that overcame life's obsticle set fourth by an abusive aunt that said she'd never amount to shit....check it out and tell me what you think

Shawn,

Ok, I was confused earlier because I thought Autographed Book was the name of it and I didn't get it. Yeah, I can see this being a challenge considering it's mainly through the voice of the woman but it is doable. I could use voice over to help describe the siatuion but I've also only read the first three pages. I also live in Las Vegas. I live in Henderson. I wasn't quite sure what part of town you were in. Also, not that it matters but the pages that I read, I saw the wrong usage of threw. It said on "My fifteenth birthday I through a party". Not that it matters but I thought I should point it out.

Dan

dm,

looks like you are making a good start, but as it stands i have about twenty people that want this position. i need to narrow it down to five and choose at that point. but if i choose you, how soon could you have this done. you just do the script, i have a professional editor to do the job right this time. whereas i did not before.

Shawn,

Well here's the trick about writing a good screenplay...I could have a rough draft done in two weeks but it's just a rough draft. I don't care what you are going to hear from anyone, it's not as easy to write it as one would think. Well a good one anway.

I seem to have more questions because just because it's a paying job, I like to know what I'm getting myself into. What is the purpose of the screenplay? Do you plan on making it? Selling it? Why do you want it done at such an accelerated pace?

hello d,

if you could, i would like for you to send me a few things....your first and last name.... a resume of your work a sample of a feature length script, a stageplay, and a 30minute sitcom. i would like it if your references are verifiable. along with a number where you can be reached.

thank you,
shawn

There are just so many things wrong with this situation that has my Spidey Senses tingling. Why do you need a screenplay, play and a 30 minute tv pilot? You see that's where it doesn't make sense. usually people will ask for writing samples, because they don't want to read the whole thing. They want a taste of what you can produce and they don't ask for a full-length screenplay, play and 30 minute sitcom. Do you see where I can be hesitant on the situation. I'm not sure what the other 20 candidates have said about this and I'm sure I may be the only one that has emailed you this but what is up with this? Please explain. Also, why would you need references if I would be adapting a screenplay? Shouldn't the writings be good enough for you? Help me out here.

IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU HAVE DEALT WITH SOME UNCOOL PEOPLE OR SOMETHING. I ASKED FOR REFERENCES FOR MY OWN PEACE OF MIND. I ASKED FOR A SAMPLE OF A SCRIPT MAINLY TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL YA WERE DOING, THE SAME THING FOR THE SPEC. I ASKED THE SAME OF THOSE THAT I WAS INTERESTED IN HIRING FOR THE JOB...REMEMBER, THIS WAS A JOB OFFER. SO MUCH FOR YOUR SPIDEY SENSES. BESIDES, I HIRED SOMEONE TODAY THAT WAS'NT SO, SO WELL ANYWAY NO NEED FOR ME TO FIND A WORD.....SO TUNAMIX, THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING, HOPE WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER OPP. NO MATTER HOW SMALL YOU WON'T BE SO UNNCESSARILY FILLED WITH SPIDEY SENSE STUFF.....

SHAWN


Shawn,

Thank you for your time. In all honesty, I had no intentions on working with you on your screenplay after your second email and after reading a sample of your 79 page book. It isn't that I have dealt with uncool people, I think it is the fact that I've dealt with more professional people. I usually don't have to write two times to get a simple yes or no answer.

I do have to admit that I did misread your request for a sample. I did, in fact think you asked for the whole thing. That was my mistake.

Call me sick, call me having too much free time on my hands but I thought that this would make an interesting story which it has so good luck with that.

DM

smile....no problem....as i am still new at all this hopefully,i will get better from those that have more exp...thx for being honest dm, u tak care

shawn




I can't believe that this person had insulted me. It's kind of funny because some reason it got turned around on me. I find it funny that Shawn couldn't find a word to describe me. I find it funny that Shawn pretty much told me that I shouldn't trust my gut instincts. Oh well, I guess I blew my chance. What ever will I do? (saracasim)

Well I thought it was nice for him or her (I still don't know if it's a man or woman. I know it said female but she sounds so manly. I guess it's cause she's a lesbian?) eto tell me to smile. Apparently s/he thought I was really stressed out that I didn't get his job. I'm still not sure if Shawn was trying to say I was difficult because I was asking questions. They would not say...they could not find a word.

The thing that I found funny about this whole experience is that this person was trying to find a writer, trying to find someone who would write a screenplay because they had a published book. Who has published books with grammatical errors? Who the fuck responds to someone in all caps? How come I used my name in the beginning but always responded to me as DM? There are so many questions to this whole expeirence and it's my fault. I'm the one who dragged it out but as a writer, you look for things to write about.

This person is a perfect expample why it's hard to get movies made, to get books published. Everyone in L.A. has a story, everyone in Vegas has a book to write, everyone in the world has a voice. Now granted, I'm not one who can judge, but I'm going to anyway. I like to think it's one of the things I do best. I only judge after I am provided with evidence that allows me to think one way. This is the reason why people don't take writer's seriously, because there is so much crap out there, that their eyes are filled with so much shit that when a good peice of work does come around they don't want to read it because they assume it's like the rest.

Am I frustrated because someone like this can get a 79 page book published? No, but it does make me want to work twice as hard and even if I never get published, I'll have that peace of mind to know that I did all I could. I wrote until my finger's bled blue.

10 comments:

kagroo said...

yes...thank you. I realized that it gave info after I posted...but she always went by Shawn...that's why I was confused.

Anonymous said...

Screw it, man.

Sounds to me like some fledgeling, little, independant publisher thought he had found the female/black/gay equivilant of James Frey. She paid a nominal fee to have her book,"A Million Abused Black Lesbians", printed.

If her life was so bad, why was it only 79 pages?!?!

Anonymous said...

$100 for an entire screenplay?! Sign me up! That's like asking someone to build a house for you and giving them $1,000. That whole situation stinks of some fly by night outfit looking to make a quick buck. It's probably one guy living in an apartment who's trying to generate a quick buck because he knows some supposed bigwig who will read his screenplay. That movie would probably be some $150,000 Xenon Home Entertainment bullshit anyway.

Anonymous said...

I for one am disappointed. How can you look at yourself in the mirror, having passed up an autographed copy of this masterpiece in exchange for turning it into a screenplay?

Didn't you realize that all the greats pay for everything with autographed copies of their crap?

kagroo said...

Dave, I think my newly formed shit I left in the toilet will do just fine. I think it may be on the same lines as the autographed book. What was I thinking...with a $100.00 bucks I could be rich...RICH I SAY!!!

christine said...

i really don't like all the 'sample' stuff black ellen asked you for...i'd be afraid that she'd snatch it for her own. snatch i say

kagroo said...

Who is Ellen?

qhunt said...

that was a great story!! An autographed book, that takes a lot of guts. That is pretty pompus to think that she is such a good writer that her autograph has some kind of curency with you!
lol

kagroo said...

That's what I found to be funny. Why doesn't she sign my tits while she's at it? I wonder if she's frend, La Shawn.

Anonymous said...

I not absolutely understand, what you mean?