Monday, March 20, 2006

"He's So Lonely Without Any Decent Friends Here."

You never really give it that much thought but the strength of a friendship can be compared to a t-shirt. I know you've owned shirts that you've worn once because you accidentally spilled something on it that creates a stain that won't wash out or you get it caught on something, tear it, finalizing it's fate into the rag bin.

You have t-shirts that your Boy/Girlfriend hates. It was that one shirt you'd wear each weekend for the last seven years but for some reason they don't approve of it. It's that one discussion that you really want to argue about but in the end, you feel that it's not worth it. That you shouldn't stand up and fight for this shirt because it's easier this way because there are certain compromises one must make. It's time to let it go and start with something new.

The color of the shirt is gonna fade...

It's gonna fade and get holes in it and it becomes the decision of throwing it away or keeping it. Throw away history to put on that brand new t-shirt or only to wear on special occasions.

When you put it on, it fits, it's comfortable, unlike the new shirts you get that shrink after the first wash or were a "bad decision" when you bought them.

It's the shirt that has modeled with your personality.

You have shirts from when you were ten that you still own. It's something that you would greatly miss if it were no longer there, always searching for something like it but knowing you will never find a t-shirt quite the same.

T-shirts describe the kind of guy you are; Is it a plain white one? Does it have a funny saying on it? Is it long-sleeved? Is it short-sleeved?

I have a 100 shirts I know I will never wear again but for some reason I won't throw them away. I store them in a big green duffle bag that stands at attention in the closet. I keep them, in their bruised, torn, stained, deformed state because I never know. One day I may want that back in my life. One day it could come back into the rotation. One day but in reality I keep them because I know that it's hard for me to let go. It's hard for me to accept the fact that those shirts will never be the same as they once were. No matter how many times I wash them with my hands, no matter how many times I sew them back together, those shirts are no longer part of my life.

7 comments:

christine said...

you know she's going to end up hating the new friend just as much as she hate you b/c she's crazy. just wait...

Anonymous said...

Boone,
Do all guys have millions of T's or is just you, Q, and me???? I have my T's in a box up in the garage. I only have certain ones in the rotation and one of them happens to be yours. YOu might have been going deeper with your blog, but it was all truth to me!!! laters!!

kagroo said...

Randy I really am not sure on that. I have a couple of your old shirts too and I am not sure how it happens. It's also funny when someone asks to borrow it and I kind of hesitate because I know I may never see it again. Kind of like leaving one at Nate's apartment by mistake and him telling me he has it but in the end, I will never see it again.

Anonymous said...

I've got one of Nate's shirts that Dan gave to me. It's in the rotation with the hundreds of others. I didn't even borrow that shirt, Dan just gave it to me. It is one of the few highschool era t-shirts that I still own. Most of them slowly disentegrated into nothing over time.

That's what I don't understand about the three of you, Randy, Q, and Dan. You should put all of your wearable t-shirts in rotation. I literally have about 250 t-shirts in rotation at all times. It takes about six months to go through the whole stack, but I do before I will wear the same one twice. By the way, my wife thinks that I have a mental problem and complains loudly whenever she looks at the stacks of t-shirts in my closet.

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't my comment show up?

qhunt said...

Dave, I couldn't agree more. You need to wear those bad boys. I have about 200 shirts also, I have 100 in my closet and 100 in the basement. I go down in the basement and grab the other ones about once a year and rotate. it is an art. I do wear the same one twice though, I just don't have the rotation down as well as you i suppose. I have t-shirts from Randy, Dan, you, Iron Mountain class of 98, Quincy High school class of 01, Lake State, GVSU, SVSU, Eastside speed camp, Comstock soccer 1994, Preston High school(Napoleon Dynomite), ST Louis Volleyball, and many many more that make you say "where and how the heck did you get that t-shirt?" I love it when people say that.

kagroo said...

Patience Dave, your comment does show up and R.J. you are right, sometimes deep is very truthful.