Monday, February 27, 2006

Murder Was the Case that they gave me

I was trying to think of something interesting to write about. I mean, I have felt that I haven't produced anything decent in the last two and a half months but what do I write about? What is the big welcome back article that will get people talking again, that will want people to come back to The Corner Bar after so long? Simple...DEATH!!!

When you talk on the phone with me I sometimes realize that it's a chore. My brain jumps from place to place, with very random ideas and thoughts. Today, today I feel like it went to a good place. I was chatting on the phone with The Doc about the usual; Zombies, Craig's list and my favorite topic...me. What really got my attention was when we talked about Death Row.

I've always had a problem with Death Row. I think the main reason is that all of the states don't support it. I understand the debate of letting people die who have done vicious acts to society but it's one of those things that if everyone doesn't support it, why even bother? It's like playing football with only eight people. So there isn't a running back but you have a left defensive tackle. This metaphorical team isn't complete. This metaphorical team sucks.

I realize that there are laws and legal systems that we go through but why does it take so long for the person to die? Should they sit around and wonder what they did? Maybe they'll feel bad about it and say sorry. Also, for their family. Granted they may have some family that's just as fucked up as he/she is but on the other side, they could be this decent family. To them, this is pulling the band-aid off slowly instead of ripping it off but what do I know?

The whole Death Row is a big contradiction to me. They did wrong, we punish. They get their deserved sentence, an act for an act but I don't understand this last meal. Is this some Catholic guilt? Why should he get a last meal? Oh, you're saying that since he will die in front of a group of witnesses, the least we can do for him is give him some Surf N' Turf. I think they should get a bowl of turds and razor blades and if they want it heated up, it's tough luck. I've heard of "Kill them with kindness," but this is going overboard.

"Sorry we are going to kill you but what would you like to eat? Anything you want."

"I'll have a nice warm glass of milk and some cookies please before I go to sleep."

I mean, that's what it comes down to. They kill this criminal but before they do it, they put them to sleep so they won't feel any pain. Who the fuck cares? You are killing him. Do we not understand the whole concept of killing? It isn't supposed to be a nice thing. If they raped and slit a females throat, I think the guy should be raped and have his throat slit. If the Death Sentence is ok in some states, why have we grown morals to care what this murderer, this rapist feels? It just doesn't make sense and is one of the main reasons why laws, politics is a real turn off.

I'm not really one for violence and I can't really say that if some guy killed my family that I wouldn't wish him dead. I do know that I think there should be a line. Either the death sentence is cool in all states where we just shoot the mother fucker and ask them later what they want for dinner, or have it not be cool in all states and pay some taxes to keep them behind bars. I don't know. I'm sure a million times it has been debated and I'm sure it will be a million more. All I'm asking is that if you do kill the guy, more civilized killing. They lost their right when they did their deed. Is that too hard to ask?

6 comments:

christine said...

good point danny diggity dan (and even better snoop doggy dogg quote). nj is currently doing a 'study' on if they should impose a moratorium on executions in the state. the main reason for this is not so much that nj cares about them, the state of nj cares about how much it is costing us to prosecute death sentence cases and then follow through with the sentence after countless appeals (i believe they get six shots at it). finally! someone thinking about my wallet instead of if a murderer's life matters. i'm not going to debate the capital murder issue b/c it gets too personal, too heated, and then religion comes in to play and it's just a big fucking mess. but i will say that i like to keep as much of the money that i earn as i can, so...

Anonymous said...

You're right Christine, debating capital punishment is futile.

But don't hide under the "my tax dollars" umbrella, either. When individual states and federal economies suck, and money is mishandled, our tax dollars are coming out of our paychecks, like it or not, and will be used for a myriad of things we don't agree with.

That argument makes more sense if you're complaining about $600 replacement toilet seats for the Pentagon, or the 9 BILLION of actual, physical cash that was lost (while in wheelbarrows, no less) in Iraq, during the early months of our unjust war.

qhunt said...

quiaq, I can't agree more. I get really frustrated with taxes. I have no idea where the heck they go, or what organizations they run. I am with Dan though, either kill the criminals, or don't. Don't let them sit around for 23 years before they put them to death.

Speaking of terrible governmental waists of money. Nationalized health care. Can we put this topic to rest please? Our taxes would double if we went to that. Great idea "oh, no body is turned away, everyone has the same health care" by the way, you will have to wait for four months for that check up or surgery, and you only take home 40% of you paycheck. I will work for my benefits, thank you very much.

kagroo said...

Put them in a Mining community, put a metal collar around their necks and if they try and break free...their heads will explode. Is that too hard to ask for?

Anonymous said...

This is the gulag, Rura Penthe. Work well and you'll be treated well. Work badly, and you will die.

Anonymous said...

"Dear BTK Killer,

Do you still get aroused when you think about murdering people? Do you feel it was worth it now that your family considers you a monster and the whole world hates you? Just curious. Do you still have fantasies about wiping out families? Are you planning to accept Jesus in your heart as your cosmic "Get out of jail free card?"

Sincerely,

Sherm Bishop