Sunday, June 19, 2005

Bless You...More Like Bless Me.

It is official...I have retired from using the term "Bless you" when someone sneezes. I just can't do it anymore. The reason...I just find it stupid. There are many explanations of why this came about. One for example is that people believed that when you sneezed, your soul was escaping. Another reason is that when you sneezed, there was an opening for a demon to enter. The list goes on and on.

With time, the meaning has been lost and when it's used, it's more of a systematic function. When one says, "hello," you reply with, "hello." I'm done now people. I'm just sick of saying it twenty times a day. I really don't see the need for it. Plus, not everyone believes in that method and I guess I'm one who tries to be P.C. (I said tries).

If I fart and burp, I'm the one expected to say, "excuse me." Why would I? I'm farting and burping out loud to be gross and disgusting. I am aware that I am doing it so why would I try and get out of it by "excusing" myself. The thing is, everyone burps and farts, just like how everyone sneezes. So why does the sneeze get to be the exception? This isn't very fair.

I believe that when I fart or burp, you should "bless me." It's the only way that justice is going to be served. I want justice served on a cold platter. With a side dish of "thank you" and "you are so right."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

The reason that you say excuse me when you fart is because that is how the Demon escapes. You are apologizing and giving wawrning to the guy next you, so he doesn't sneeze and the demon enter his body.

kagroo said...

Why would I care though? you know how many people walk through farted air a day? I thought about this while I was walking through the mall today. So many farts and burps and sneezes.

kagroo said...

Crap...I ended a sentence with a preposition...what's my problem?

Anonymous said...

I'm telling all the English teachers about your preposition faux. It will be great. Hopefully they will come and acost you at work.

You should care about other people becuase demons are bad. If the people around you are made aware of your flatuents then they can prevent themselves from sneezing for a few minutes while the demon dissapates, or run away if they cannot stop the sneeze.

Hollywood,
Next time I recommend responding to the whether or not it is rude not to "bless you" question with: "Not if the bitch that sneezed is ugly."

Anonymous said...

help