Friday, November 18, 2005

I've Got That Love and Feeling. By Dave M.

I’ve still got it…


We’ll I’ve sort of still got it. I guess I should be honest, some might say that I never had “it” at all but that is beside the point. For purposes of this iteration let’s all assume that at one time I was able to draw women and reciprocate their attention and therefore at such time had “it”, and although I’ve been married for several years now, I have now discovered that I still possess an outward sexuality worthy of genuine response. The problem arises in the “sort of” that I mentioned above and this is when my story begins.

Today I made my triumphant return to the local YMCA after a six week absence necessitated by a nasty ankle sprain. I’ve still got joint pain and attend physical therapy, but I felt spry enough to try the stair master on a low speed. The stair master is the type that involves actual revolving steps that creates a climbing machine resembling a short escalator. It sets at the end of a long row of treadmills which are all placed forward of a room full of weight lifting machines. The stair master’s height gives me a good view of the rest of the gym and truly provides a vigorous workout. It felt good to undertake aerobic activity again.

While gently stretching my ankle and pushing it to the limits of its flexibility as I walked up the down escalator that is the genius of the stair master, I found myself surveying the noon hour gym attendance. I do this frequently, hoping to scope out and goggle beautiful scantly clad professional women. I call them “motivation.” There is nothing like a firm round ass in stretch pants with a slightly growing line of sweat encroaching the cheeks from the center cleavage of low rising waist bands to consistently draw me to the gym. One can almost determine the cut and style of the panties the “motivation” wears.

Today I craned my neck around and was looking behind me when I lost my train of thought and in my absentmindedness began starring at an individual using a weight machine. I didn’t know I was starring at someone. I wasn’t really starring, I wasn’t even looking. My legs were doing their work and my mind simply floated off into a Neverland of inward contemplation. My sense of sight was overrun by whatever thoughts I was having at the time. I was jolted back to real world when I made eye contact with the individual whom I had been looking at for what must have been a full thirty seconds. These situations can be embarrassing, it’s not good to stare and it’s even worse to get caught. This, however, was a special situation because the person I was starring at was obviously a gay man. He was very stylish, and while that may be a stereotype, it’s true. I wear bloodied basketball shorts and torn t-shirts to the gym and it’s a simple fact that if you see a man in designer exercise clothing in the Lansing Michigan YMCA then he’s hitting for the other team. This man either just got back from a “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” makeover or he is well on his way to auditioning as an expert adviser. I assumed the later when we made eye contact. I simply went back to my work out and thought nothing of it, other than absorbing the embarrassment I felt, and contemplating the fact that I was actually busted checking out a gay man. I get busted checking people out on an hourly basis; it’s normally no big deal. I just end up creeping out some woman and then go back to my business. It wasn’t until about two minutes later when I realized that I had opened up an opportunity to include homosexual experimentation to my list of worldly experiences.

The man at which I was unintentionally flirting with stopped using the weight machine he was on had apparently decided it was time to go for a jog. He walked over to the treadmill next to the stair master I was using and began his walk.

Dear reader, please correct me if I am wrong, but if I make eye contact with a beautiful woman at the gym and quickly look away and she then decides that she needs to use the nearest exercise machine to me out of the perhaps six identical and available machines that are not placed six inches from the machine I am using, she has sent a signal to me that indicates I should start a conversation.

That is exactly what this man did.

I’ve now found that my reaction to this signal is different if an effeminate man wearing turquoise work out pants and a shiny ring on each middle finger makes this very same gesture. In such instance I’ve discovered that I make it a point not to remove my headphones. I make it a point to simply look straight forward and make no further contact. I know this is an effective means of ceasing all mutual interaction and sends a clear message that the non-responsive individual is not interested. I know this because women do it to me all the time. My new potential gay friend could not talk to me because I was wearing my headphones, and I did nothing to invite his further initiative. While I do not normally shun people based on their sexuality, I do when their sexuality is derived from testosterone and is directed towards me. In human mating ritual terms, it was my obligation to make the next move and remove my headphones and ask him some mundane question about the frequency of his gym attendance. I did not take up this opportunity. After about three minutes of his feigned jogging with absolutely no body language from me other than my fidgeting with my wedding ring literally less than a foot from his face, the man stopped the machine and went back to lifting weights. I was relieved, and only hoped to avoid an awkward locker room encounter.

By awkward locker room encounter, I mean the instance where we are both standing there naked and we are obligated to make eye contact, nod at each other and know that we have seen each other penises, and that while he may have thought I was open to touching his penis and open to him touching mine, and knowing that that was not going to happen, and then silently go about our merry business of showering and getting back to work as it nothing happened. Fortunately that did not occur. I was able to shower and change without bumping into this individual either literally or figuratively. It’s comforting to know that when I make an ass of myself starring at a woman in the gym and she gives me that social silent rejection that fifteen minutes later I am not going to see her naked breasts when I go into the locker room.

As I left the gym contemplating these thoughts, I sought to touch my thumb to my wedding ring as I constantly fidget with the ring out of nervous habit. I discovered that the ring was gone. Somewhere between when I was subtly indicating to the gay man that I was married and the time that I walked out the gym my ring slipped off my finger. That’s when I knew I was in trouble. Not only did I have to tell my wife that I lost the symbolic gift of her eternal love, I also had to tell her that I lost it after I almost picked up an attractive gay man.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't even get spam to comment on this post.

kagroo said...

I think it's due to the holiday season. People are too worried about Turkey's and shit like that.

christine said...

that's what you get for ogling women at the gym for all those years

kagroo said...

Yeah...if only your wife knew your hidden agenda. She does now...I just told her.

Anonymous said...

She already knows. She will even point them out. That's part of the reason why she is the best ever. We will go to a restaruant and when she sees a beautiful women she points her out to me. Or if I ask, she will go to the gym and use the eliptical machine in front of my treadmill. She likes to be "motivation" too.

She knows that guys look, and that they will look until the day they die. As long as they don't touch, then there should be nothing wrong with looking. That's her philosophy, and it works just fine for me.

If she bitched every time I watched a nice looking woman walk by then we never would have gotten married. That would have required me to put up with an awful lot of bitching.

kagroo said...

You're wife is a whore...Nun...Whore...Nun...Whore-Nun.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll let her know.

kagroo said...

deal...

qhunt said...

dave, i laughed out loud. thank you for pulling my work day out of the depths of dispear, if only for the short time i was reading your post. you illustrate things so well with words.
by the way. I don't mind a little motivation now and then.
Q

Anonymous said...

dave, great story!!! I was waiting for the gay guy to bring you your wedding ring. I wish i could say i had motivation during a workout or practice but there are only high school girls to look at and that would be........

kagroo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kagroo said...

a Tim Cashen?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Q, I'm going to give you the number for a judge I want you to call and express your assessments to him. It might be helpful.

And Randy, I think that you should be ok. But don't rely too heavily on that, I'm not licensed in Indiana.

Kagroo, Cashen was a great teacher, leave him and his family alone.

Christine, I'm leaving my office for the gym right now. I don't anticipate feeling any guilt when I get back.

christine said...

i'm sure you won't. my comment is made out of annoyance when people look at me. i hate it. luckily, i'm ugly and grossly overweight - so this rarely happens. only when dan is in town.

kagroo said...

Christine is neither ugly nor grossly overweight.

Look Dave...look at how many responses you have now. It's a Christmas Miracle.

christine said...

shallow hal

m said...

All this talk of watching sweatly ladies at the gym is making me thirsty.

Great story, Dave.

Anonymous said...

Christine,

I look at women because I like them. To me, they are the most beautiful creatures and natural wonders on the planet. If I stare at your ass or check out your tits, you should take it as a celebration of your beauty.

When I have sex with women in my mind's eye (e.g. masturbate wildly while thinking about them) it is really a testimant to their power over me and an acknowledgment of the gift of their beauty.

Please also note that as long as a woman as all of her teeth, and no tatoos then regardless of her weight, there is a significant chance that I will see and recognize her beauty. That's just the way I am. I appreciate all the flavors of life.

qhunt said...

well said dave
Q