Friday, January 21, 2005

"Off to Never, Neverland"

Ok, so yes, I do get emotional during some movies. SOME. I've seen Garden State for like the tenth time with one of my good friends Jim Beam. I don't know but there's something about that last scene that always gets to me. I mean, it really touches me. Maybe because there have been times when I wish that I wasn't such a pussy and used a "career" excuse or that she won't kiss back. You know, the same old sob story. Someone cry me a river. The point that I'm making here is that it's funny how I couldn't even cry at a friend's funeral. I mean I tried and forced myself but not a tear could come out. Yet a movie with fictional characters could make me get all choked up. The funny thing is that this isn't the first time that this has happened.

I remember watching Turner and Hootch, yes the one with the dog. I watched that by myself at my parents house on Fairfield Ave. I remember I was in the kitchen getting a slice of pizza when I noticed that Hootch was shot. "Oh he's going to be ok," I thought to myself, "Why would they kill the dog?" Wow, was I way off on that one. They killed the fucking dog!!! I was a young lad growing up, so it disturbed me a little bit. I don't care that the "bitch" that Hootch had sex with doggie style was pregnant with his babies. I didn't find that cute because in the end, they killed the dog. So much props to Beasley the dog's performence, a.k.a. Hootch. In all honesty, I think that he should have been nominated for an oscar or some type of award that was geared towards dying animals.

The last (yeah I know I really only touched on two movies) is the one that will have goons around the world agreeing with me. I know, please future wife, don't read this. The end of Star Trek II. Yes, I said it. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my chest. It's as if I can start living life again. I shit you not though, you watch that whole movie. I mean really watch it, not a bullshit watching to "humor" me and at the end when Spock dies a tear will fall from your face. Unless your emotions run cold like the Borg. My friend John and I claim that it was Shatner's finest performence, even though he's been winning awards for Boston Legal.

So what is the point of this write up? There really isn't one. I'm just saying it's funny how life plays out. How you react to certain things. How at one moment in time you will be sitting there, enjoying yourself and the next, you can't stand it. You are pissed and angry for things that you shouldn't be. How you could be perfectly happy and you are watching a moment and you get caught up in a movie. It touches you somewhere (Not the place where you have to point to the doll in a courtroom case) but in a place where you can always associate it with something special. A place that you are the only one that can go there. Your "Secret Garden". So don't be afraid to admit it. Don't be afraid to go there because it's a place that's yours and in these days, in these times, it's really rare to have that place. Even if it is a cheesey movie like The English Patient or The Love Bug, if it takes you there, if it takes you to a place where you can feel, grab on to it's hand and never let go. It will treat you well, I promise.

1 comment:

The Dana said...

A friend of mine produces that makeover show, but I've never watched it. One of our cast members said that it was one of the most touching shows he's ever seen - so you're not alone H-Money.

I almost cry when I watch The West Wing sometimes. I am not sure if it's because I am afraid I'll never get to work on a show that good, or if it's because I am so much admiration and respect for the actors in that show. It's only the 2nd and 3rd season though. 4 and 5 have kind of lost me.

And Dan, we've had the Garden State conversation so I won't comment on that. Only to say that different things touch us all in different ways at different times in our lives. I've found myself quite numb lately - not sure why. Probably a defense mechanism. Anyhoo, point is, good post. Word.